Q: Car recommendations for a College bound kid?

We are looking at purchasing a car for our daughter - we would like her to have this car for 6 years (or more). We are looking at a range of new vs. used. We have an 07 Audi A4 and it seems to be great (although it just reached 100K miles, which is when they say the $$$ happens).
We are looking at the following cars: Audi (A3 or A4) USED VW Golf (new or used) Mazda 3 (new or used) Mazda CX-3 (new or used)

Do you have any red flags we should be thinking about? Are there cars we should consider that we aren't already looking at? Thank you.

Cathy

Hi Cathy, thanks for writing in. Thanks for your question and good for you to be responsible to carefully research safe vehicle choices for your daughter.

The widely respected publication "Consumer Reports" has an annual issue that contains comprehensive used car ratings, costs and reliability ratings. They also, in those issues, make very specific recommendations as to good used car choices and present the reasons for the choice.

Initially, at least, you can rely on their recommendations with the caveat that any vehicle that had a Takata recalled airbag, whether it was replaced or not, is not a safe choice.

Once you have selected a vehicle, be sure to have a professional inspection. YourMechanic specialists routinely perform these pre-purchase inspections, all around the country. By doing so you’ll get an overall assessment of the condition of the vehicle so you know exactly what you’re paying for. Best of luck!