Q: Ceramic brake pads squeaking

I just put new ceramic brake pads and rotors on my car last week. Since then, I have noticed a lot of squeaking/squealing when I come to a stop. My mechanic friend told me that's pretty common with ceramic brake pads. There's still less than 200 miles on them, so maybe, yeah, they're just too new. Is this really a common thing, and how long will it take to stop squeaking?

A: Many brake pads will make noise when instal...

Many brake pads will make noise when installed. This is usually material noise that may or may not go away. One thing you could do that may help, is to lubricate the contact points on the brake pads. You’ll find small packets of brake pad lubricant available at your local auto parts store. Apply this lubricant to the back of the pads, and to the point where the end of the pad contacts the caliper. If this doesn’t work for you, I suggest having a trained professional inspect your vehicle firsthand to fix the sound when breaking.