Q: Car radio will not pick up radio stations.

I have a car radio issue that seems to be beyond my comprehension. The radio itself will play CDs and will pick up an FM transmitter that is right beside the actual radio. I have all the wires exposed and connections are tight. I check the antenna to make sure it is snug for grounding purposes. Tight. Signal booster was installed before I bought the car and with and without the box inline the AM/FM will not work. I even bought a new antenna with a new cable to replace the old one and the radio will still not pick up radio stations. Sounds great when the transmitter is near it and when the CDs are playing. I cannot find any information on if this could possibly be a bad tuner or not. Any information is appreciated. Thank you.

There are multiple issues that could cause a radio to not pick up an AM / FM signal. In most cases it’s due to faulty wiring, a loose ground wire or the wiring running to and from the antenna. However, it’s also possible that an internal component inside the radio such as an electrical relay has been damaged. It might be best to purchase a new tuner; as diagnosing and fixing this issue would most likely be more expensive than the cost of buying and installing a new one.

3. Car radio will not pick up radio stations.