Q: Car overheating during idling or stop and go traffic

Hi, I need some advice on how to deal with my car overheating occasionally. It happens during driving around the town or while idling. The car usually runs fine on the highway. I took it to the shop and they said there was a crack in the radiator. They had it replced but the problems is still present. The only thing that helps in this situation is to keep the air condtioning on. Also, keeping the window defroster on most of the time helps. I would like to fix this problem but I don't know what to do. Do you have any suggestion? Thank you.

Hello. If the engine will stay cool with the AC on or when the vehicle is moving then there is a cooling fan circuit issue. The computer may not be turning on the fan when the engine is getting hot. It may be trying to turn the fan on but it may have a circuit issue such as a bad relay. An electrical test of the cooling fan system would need to be done first to find the issue. If you need to have this checked, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose your car’s overheating issue and perform any needed repairs.

3. Car overheating during idling or stop and go traffic