Q: Car not starting in temperatures over 80 degrees

asked by on February 24, 2016

My car will not start if sitting in the sun in weather over 80 degrees. The battery is new and works fine. When sitting in the hot sun, the will not even click, turn over, or react at all. The stereo and all of the electrical devices come on. The car will start once the sun has set and had a chance to cool down.

Car is not starting Inspection $79.99 - $99.99 Get a Quote

Hi there. This can be a common issue that vehicles encounter when the temperature outside is warm or if there is a sticky starter solenoid. The solenoid will stick even if sufficient current is applied to its switch. I’d suggest having a certified mechanic from YourMechanic come to your location for a more precise diagnosis of the car’s starting issue in person. They will also be able to make the correct repairs for your vehicle once this diagnosis is made.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr