Q: Car not shifting out of reverse

My car won't go out of reverse, and I think the strut assembly is loose or damaged on front right tire.

If your vehicle is a standard you might have a problem with a synchronizer inside the transmission. Synchronizers are what allow you to shift from one gear to the next without hearing a grinding sound. Disassembly of the transmission is required for inspection and should be done by a qualified transmission mechanic. The strut can make a loose or rattling sound if it is worn. This rattle is more pronounced when going over bumps, even small ones. Leaking seals are an indicator that struts need to be replaced. A mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, can help diagnose your shifting issue as well as check for any leakage from the struts.

3. Car not shifting out of reverse