Q: Car making weird noises and hard to steer.

asked by on December 28, 2015

My car has been making loud grinding noises while driving and recently has been harder to steer.

Power steering fluid is leaking Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hello, by the nature of your concern, I would say that you have a power steering pump that is low on fluid. A power steering pump being noisy is something that should be looked at and repaired sooner than later to avoid further damage to the pump. If the pump runs dry for too long the pump can start eating away itself and contaminate the system with metal shavings. If you haven’t noticed any oil on the ground then there is an internal leak probably at the power steering rack. The steering rack outer seals can leak the fluid into the dust boots of the steering rack and you won’t see any fluid on the ground. If you know how to add power steering fluid you should top up your system and see how long it takes for it become noisy again. If not, you should enlist the aid of a mechanic to add fluid and see if the leak can be located.