Q: Car makes grinding noise and lurches - 2001 Toyota MR2

My car makes grinding noises and lurches. The grinding comes from the front end of the car, usually when I'm backing out and the wheels are not straight. Otherwise, when I drive either backwards or forwards,and the wheels aren't cranked, there is no noise. What could be causing this?

A: Hello there. Constant velocity joints are a...

Hello there. Constant velocity joints are a common cause (outboard joint). Check for torn rubber boot on the outboard joint and grease leak from the boot. This is also possible from the strut bearing failing or going bad. If you would like to have this looked at, a qualified pro from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to diagnose the grinding noise and pinpoint what needs repair.