Q: Car makes a ticking sound when key is turned to auxiliary even when the motor isn't running

asked by on August 16, 2017

My car has a ticking noise under the dash when the key is turned to auxiliary and the motor isn't running. It continues when the car is running

The HVAC blower motor, if on during these episodes, could account for a noise like that. However, if the blower and all accessories are off, the noise is likely due to some sort of a malfunction in an electro-mechanical device such as a relay. To pinpoint the origin of the noise the recommended service would be an electrical components diagnostic. If you request that diagnostic service the responding certified mechanic will pinpoint the fault and estimate the required repairs and cost. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.