Q: Car lost power & acceleration on the interstate

While driving on the highway, suddenly there was a message in the cluster saying that I was driving at low rev high speed - and I was at 70 mph! Then the car immediately lost power, no acceleration, and I had to pull over to the side of the highway. After that, there was a buildup of heat and steam coming out.

It was like the car was dying. It was very frightening. I was late to work, of course, and I left the car to sit a while. Later, we got the car to the dealer and they said that the car didn’t record anything. Fortunately I had taken a picture of the cluster about the problem. They still told me that even with the picture, that the car was fine. Please tell me what to do, where to go, how to get my car fixed. Thanks.

A: If the dealer has not verified the problem,...

If the dealer has not verified the problem, then they will not do so until they have. This is so that when they fix the problem, they can verify that they fixed the symptom. I do not have any additional information on this issue and can only recommend to have a mechanic check it when it happens again. I would recommend having it towed in the next time so the dealer will know there is a problem and document what you were doing and how long you were driving to help them duplicate the condition. Leave it with them for an extended time so they are not rushed to try and come up with a fix. It’s likely to be an intermittent issue, and could be a transmission issue, a software related glitch, a wiring issue, or a failed component such as a mass air flow sensor. Since your car is likely still under warranty, you probably will want to visit the dealer. However, if you would like an independent mobile mechanic to check the car, a technician from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to diagnose the vehicle’s loss of power.