Q: Car issues when pumping gas!

Everytime I pump gas my car has a very hard time starting back up! I crank it up, it dies instantly... it does it about 3 or 4 times then it finally kinda starts but I have to push down on the gas pedal a little bit for it to fully start. Well last time it was worse, to the point where I did not think it was going to start at all but finally it did! So this time when I stopped to get gas I left the car on to see how it would do... It started revving up like crazy, as if someone was sitting there holding the gas pedal to the floor making it do it. Its the weekend so no mechanics are open near me and I'm driving myself crazy trying to find answers to the problem! Please let me know asap if you have ANY information on what my car could be doing!

A: Hello and thank you for your question. The ...

Hello and thank you for your question. The symptoms of your vehicle not starting after getting gas and reviving up while fueling up the fuel tank indicate a failed evaporative purge valve. The purge valve is designed to allow fuel vapors to get transferred from the charcoal canister to the engine to burn off. In the event that the purge valve fails, the valve is either open fully or shut completely. In your situation, it sounds like the purge valve is open completely causing the vapors to enter the engine and not fuel. I recommend replacing the evaporative purge valve. If you need any assistance in replacing the evaporative purge valve, a YourMechanic certified technician can come to your location to perform an inspection of your gas-revving issue and diagnose this for you.