Q: Car issues. I need help to determine what's wrong with it.

asked by on March 04, 2017

Okay was at light it turned green I preceeded forward as soon as I started going I saw that my engine light cane on I immediately took foot of the gas. Shop said it was the timing belt it was not in pieces or destroyed though but clearly had to be replaced. Replaced the belt then ran a compression test and the shop said that the 2nd cylinder is bent. I towed It home and ran a engine light test with scanner and it said nothing about the 2nd cylinder it actually said that the 1st 3rd and 4th cylinder were misfiring. So what is really wrong with my car? Help!!!

First you will need to test compression on all 4 cylinders with all of the spark plugs out and the ignition system disabled. If the compression is good on all of the cylinders, then the valves in cylinder 2 are fine and you were told wrong. Then the misfire is either the spark plugs have fouled out or the fuel injectors are not working. Now, If the cylinders all have a low or loss of compression, then the timing belt was installed incorrectly. If the cylinders 1, 3, and 4 are low in compression, you will need to hook up a leak down tester (requires compressed air) and test to see where the leak is coming from. This will let you know what needs to be done with the engine. If you need further assistance with your engine misfiring, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.