Q: Car is not registering gears and is losing power.

while driving down the road my throttle body/power train light came on. My car began to lose power so I pulled over. I then cleaned the throttle body with cleaner with the part still on the car and the light went off. waited a while and the tried to drive my car again it went for a few sec then began losing power again but the light did not come back on. Now when i put it in gear it doesn't automatically register and I have to wait a few seconds. After driving maybe 1/8 of a mile it loses power again. What are your suggestions? I took it to a shop and they stated something inside the transmission so I just need to replace the transmission altogether. I dont feel like that is my only option

Hi there. It sounds like an issue with the throttle position sensor on the throttle body. When you cleaned the throttle body, the sensor was probably not functioning correctly and you made it somewhat work. I recommend replacing the throttle position sensor. When your transmission is taking too long to engage, it would be slipping into gear. Check the fluid to the transmission and make sure that it’s full and red in color. If the fluid is full, then the transmission is slipping. I recommend seeking out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you diagnose your transmission.

3. Car is not registering gears and is losing power.