Q: Car in storage approx. 6 years. All checked over and ready for road; except engine misses

I have a 1991 Dodge Stealth R/T turbo. It has been in storage for approximately 6 years. Brought it to the local Dodge dealer to get checked over and road ready. Flush coolant system, rotate tires, spark plugs, etc. Seems to be an engine miss - and also once car is warm from running smells funny; like burnt wood. They do not have an engine analysis machine to indicate what is exactly wrong. Check engine light does come on. Personally I am thinking a fuel injector or exhaust system plugged (mice find a way to get in) Any suggestion on what to check would greatly be appreciated. Thank you.

A: The Check Engine Light is the first thing t...

The Check Engine Light is the first thing to check. If you are getting a misfire code then inspect this cylinder and check the coil and spark to the cylinder. Once this is verified, make sure that the fuel injector is not plugged or not operating.

You may need to have the fuel injectors removed and tested to see if they are clogged. After a vehicle is stored for 6 years it will have fuel related issues like rust build up in the fuel lines and injectors. You’ll need to have the fuel system checked to make sure it is not clogged as well.

If you help with these checks, have the vehicle looked at by a certified mechanic. They will be able to diagnose the cause of the misfire and the other symptoms the car is experiencing. Once this is done, the proper repairs can be made to ensure that this car is running smoothly and safely after being stored for so long.