Q: Car hesitates when I put my foot into it.

asked by on September 26, 2016

Car hesitates when I try to accelerate, then seems to grab and go through the gears.

Hi there, thanks for writing in. I’d be happy to help. This is a common symptom of a failing mass air flow sensor or throttle position sensor.

A mass air flow sensor is a unit that monitors the air flow into the intake system as it is mixed with fuel prior to being injected into the motor. When this is faulty, this will cause an imbalance in the air/fuel ration which can cause the car to hesitate as you describe.

A throttle position sensor is a component that monitors the position of your foot on the gas pedal which then relays this info to the computer which then directs the fuel injection system to supply more or less fuel. When this is not working properly, this can also cause a slight hesitation in acceleration as you describe.

I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your home to confirm a diagnosis on the issue and make the necessary repairs or replacements.