Q: Car has trouble moving forward and backwards. Do you know how to fix?

When put into drive the car has a squealing noise and trouble moving forward smoothly or backwards. Jerky motion and sometimes no movement at all.

A: With the information given, a proper diagno...

With the information given, a proper diagnosis cannot be given. However, hopefully we can steer you in a direction that will help.

At first it sounds like a clutch issue. The clutch may be failing to disengage entirely once the gear has been entered. This would explain the squealing you are hearing. If the clutch is not allowing the gear to be entered, the car will not move.

Without knowing if you have a manual or automatic transmission, we can not give you further information on the specific parts that may be at fault.

Depending on your level of experience, you will likely need help from a certified mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, or a transmission specialist to properly diagnose the jerking and hesitation you’re experiencing.