Q: Car going into limp mode

asked by on March 13, 2018

Yesterday I had my car in park with it on and it just shut off. I started it up and it shut off again. After about 10 tries it started up with no problem and stayed on. Today, I start it up and drive maybe 5 minutes on the interstate and it went into limp mode. I pulled over, started it back up and it drive fine for about another 5 minutes, then it went into limp mode again. A few days before my car had went into limp mode while I had my heater blasting. Turned off the heater and it started driving normal. But now I don't use the heater yet it still goes into limp mode.

Check Engine Light is on Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hi Terrence. Thanks for contacting us tonight. Typically, the limp mode is activated when the ECU detects a fault with the transmission or driveline system. However, it can also activate when an overheating issue is detected. This might be the reason why it goes off when you activate the heater. However, this is just a theory. In order to confirm the real source, you’ll have to have a professional mechanic complete an on-site inspection.