Q: Car doesn't start

Car doesn't start all it does is make a loud noise from the starter motor. Its had a new alternator and battery and it still doesn't start. All the lights come on and the wipers work. What could be he problem

A: Without knowing the details of what make an...

Without knowing the details of what make and model vehicle you’re having this issue with, I can provide you with the basics. If the starter motor is making a "loud noise" that seems to be different / louder than normal operating noise, it’s possible you have a failed starter motor or perhaps a damaged flywheel.

The flywheel has a toothed gear around it’s outer diameter. The starter motor has a gear that extends to mesh with that ring gear to spin the engine over when you crank the ignition. If any of those teeth are broken / missing from the flywheel, that can also give you a loud noise from the starter area and fail to start the engine. If you want to have the problem verified, a certified technician from YourMechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose your starting issue and perform necessary repairs.