Q: Car died while driving, won't start, but it turns over

asked by on December 28, 2016

I was away from my vehicle for about 2 weeks. When I came back it wouldn't start and I had to jump start it, which took a while to do (everything worked in the car off power though so I know the battery wasn't dead). Car drove good to work and then to a dental appointment after the dental appointment I started the car then it died while driving. It won't start, but it turns over.

Hello, thank you for writing in. Due to just having to jump the battery, this is the first component to check. Have it tested with a voltmeter, or at your local automotive parts store. If the battery was low but tested to be okay, you may have an alternator issue. If the charging system is working well, you will want to have the spark plugs and fuel system looked into next. The best way to test spark is with a "spark tester", and fuel should be tested with a gauge at the engine intake. This measures the fuel pump (AKA module), filter, and lines to make sure the engine is getting what it needs. You may also benefit from having the vehicle scanned for diagnostic troubleshooting codes. For more diagnostic help, contact our service department to schedule an appointment.