Q: Car died while driving, slowly lost power to gas, steering and brakes

asked by on August 19, 2017

I was driving up a street and my car all of a sudden slowly lost power to brakes, steering, and gas and just simply shut off. I was able to start it back up and get it around the block but then it did it again. By then trying again was pointless, the start up and go a few feet gap had become shorter I think. So then I just had it towed, I asked triple A and they no idea either. My car has a kill switch of some sort on it which makes me think the theft button/kill switch (I don't know) has gone bad and was thinking maybe I stole it.

Hi Hallie. More often than not, when you have this type of problem, it’s mechanical in nature - meaning that a fuel or ignition system component has broken as opposed to a security system issue. If you are unable to start the vehicle now, or it starts for a few seconds and stalls, it’s likely the fuel pump or electrical component that powers the fuel system. Since there are multiple possible sources, it’s probably best to first have a professional mechanic complete a car is hard to start inspection at your location, so they can identify the root issue and recommend the right repairs.