Q: Car died when passing another car - 1973 Volkswagen Super Beetle

I had something really freaky happen to me while I was driving to the mountains last week. I was driving on a highway behind a slow trailer and wanted to pass them. So I stepped on the accelerator and pressed down to the floor really fast to pass them. And all of a sudden my car just died! It stalled in the other lane. Once safe and sound my friend took me shopping to get a new fuel pump. He said this would fix the problem, but now my car won’t even start. There isn’t any throttle when I try to start, so I checked it and the wire is nice and tight. Do you know what’s wrong?

3. Car died when passing another car - 1973 Volkswagen Super Beetle