Q: Car died when passing another car - 1973 Volkswagen Super Beetle

I had something really freaky happen to me while I was driving to the mountains last week. I was driving on a highway behind a slow trailer and wanted to pass them. So I stepped on the accelerator and pressed down to the floor really fast to pass them. And all of a sudden my car just died! It stalled in the other lane. Once safe and sound my friend took me shopping to get a new fuel pump. He said this would fix the problem, but now my car won’t even start. There isn’t any throttle when I try to start, so I checked it and the wire is nice and tight. Do you know what’s wrong?

I would check first for fuel and spark to inspect the linkage coming from the throttle pedal to the throttle valve on the engine. With these items present and good compression, the engine should turn over and start. If you need help with a diagnosis, a certified technician from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to inspect the stalling problem and let you know what needs repair.