Q: Car cranks for a couple of seconds before finally starting

My car occasionally has difficulty starting up. Sometimes, I turn the key and it starts up immediately. Other times, it takes a couple of seconds cranking until it is turned on. What could be causing this? The car has the original battery. Should I replace it?

A: If your starter is cranking slowly, this co...

If your starter is cranking slowly, this could be a sign that the battery is getting weaker. I would recommend having your battery tested, to ensure that buying a battery will not be a waste of time and money. However, considering the fact that the battery is original is another indication that the battery may require replacement soon. The average battery life is between three to five years. This battery has far exceeded that, so if the starter is cranking slowly, the battery would be my first suspicion. I recommend having a certified mechanic inspect why your car have trouble starting right away.