Q: Car cranks but won't start - 2001 Pontiac Firebird

Pit a new alternator and new battery in. Now it's cranking and it does turn over but will not start. What could it be. It would not start with starting fluid either.

A: Your engine needs spark, air, and fuel to s...

Your engine needs spark, air, and fuel to start and run. Air is always present unless the intake is blocked off. The lack of fuel or spark will prevent it from starting. Since you are providing fuel by spraying starting fluid, the most likely cause is lack of spark. Possible causes are a bad crankshaft sensor, bad ignition module, or faulty PCM.

Have a certified technician, such as one from YourMechanic, determine why your vehicle will not start and suggest any necessary repairs.