Q: Can't use phone and media jack won't handle signals

The electrical system repeatedly fails in my car, when I’m on the phone. The whole system turns off, then resets, and the display unit then goes black. In addition, there is a high pitched feedback squeal that can be heard on the speakers. I had the car’s electrical system looked at two different times. They rebooted the electrical system completely one time. The problem was not fixed. Later, after those visits, they told me that you can’t plug a phone into the media jack, which is found in the middle console. And that the media jack is so poor that it can’t handle the variety of electronic signals like voicemail, texting, email, etc. which results in overload of the system. It is aggravating that a 2015 car can’t handle modern technology. And one other problem, the wind noise while driving on the interstate is awful. What is your advice to correct these problems?

Your 2015 Mercedes-Benz S550 may be involved in one or more vehicle recalls pertaining to this issue. These recalls are very recent and you should get in touch with the local dealer to check for any outstanding recall and have all of them performed to see if it fixes the problem you are having. As far as the wind noise is concerned, I can only suggest you drive another vehicle of the same year, make, and model to see if it is normal or if just your car has it. The wind noise may be inherent to your vehicle. Since your car is new, it is likely still under warranty with the dealer. If you’d rather have an independent technician take a look, a certified mechanic from YourMechanic can inspect and diagnose the car’s electrical issues and wind noise for you.

3. Can't use phone and media jack won't handle signals