Q: Can keeping the clutch pedal pressed down while not moving have negative effects on a car?

Does keeping the clutch pedal depressed cause any adverse wear since the car is not moving? If buffering them up in traffic continue to use the clutch pedal and shift from first into second doesn't work out. What's the best way to handle them?

When I come to a stop, usually I let go of the accelerator pedal and don’t use the clutch. When you let go of the accelerator pedal, you can shift it into neutral. I let it sit in neutral, because when you push the clutch pedal down, you are pushing the throw-out bearing, which opens up the fingers on the clutch plates so that the disk can spin freely. That’s all being strained if the clutch is pushed down. It is better just to have it in neutral, with your foot not down on the clutch. When it’s time to go again push in the clutch, get it in first, and go.

However, if you are stopping and going really fast, you don’t have to do that. You can put it in the lower gear and leave it pushed down. Like I said before, it’s better to keep it in neutral if you are going to sit for any period of time, pushing it down it will simply it wear out faster. The fingers will start getting more strain on the springs inside and will wear out quickly.

• Can keeping the clutch pedal pressed down while not moving have negative effects on a car?