Q: Can I use synthetic oil for my 1996 Toyota Camry?

I want to switch from conventional oil to Mobil 1 synthetic oil for my Toyota Camry. Is that safe considering the year of the car? Could it wear the seals down?

A: Hi, thanks for writing in. I would recommen...

Hi, thanks for writing in. I would recommend using a high mileage semi-synthetic oil. High mileage oils are designed to remove unwanted deposits created by wear and tear over time. Sometimes, switching to straight synthetic oils at high mileage can seep through worn areas and cause a leak. If you need any assistance in changing your oil, enlist in a qualified professional. Here at YourMechanic, we can have a technician come to your home or office to change your oil and filter for you, and make or suggest the necessary repairs.