Q: Can I have my jump starter plugged in to an outlet as if i was charging, then connect it to a batter and turn it on? Will that cha

asked by on December 31, 2016

My cars battery is almost dead, the jump starter will start the car for a seconds but then it turns off. So i want to take the battery out, and have it connected to my jump starter while its plugged in so it does not lose its charge and can keep charging my cars battery. will that work?

Battery is dead Inspection $79.99 - $99.99 Get a Quote

If the vehicle battery happens to be more than 5 years (60 months) old, don’t bother fooling with it. Buy a new battery and be sure the new battery is fully charged by the store before you install it, otherwise you needlessly load your alternator. Once installed, test the output of the car’s charging system to be sure that your old battery did not die due to inadequate re-charging. If the battery is 3 or 4 years old, fully charge the battery and then get it load tested. If it fails the load test, buy a new battery.

As far as re-charging or fooling with a battery on the vehicle, you have to be exceptionally careful. If, by chance, you do things like momentarily disconnect a battery while the vehicle is running, you can literally destroy the vehicle’s computer (PCM). If you have a malfunctioning charger, you can damage the car’s electrical system if the battery is connected. Batteries also can explode if you inadvertently short circuit them. If you have a professional, properly functioning charger, you can charge the battery on or off the vehicle. Again, once charged, though,you need to test it because it is unclear why it is dead. You may simply need a new battery. With regard to the procedure you described for re-charging, it is unfamiliar to me. The ONLY re-charging procedures that are safe and acceptable to use are those set forth in writing on the instruction card and/or manual that accompanies the charger. No other procedure, none, is acceptable to follow, other than the written instructions accompanying the battery charger, due to the risk of battery explosion, short circuit, or electric shock. Again, if the battery is "old" (greater than 5 years) don’t waste your time recharging it...you need a new battery especially if you live in a cold weather state. To request battery replacement, testing, charging, and/or evaluation, please simply request a battery inspection to start with. Once the responding certified mechanic carefully tests your battery the mechanic will advise you as to what needs to be done. The mechanic will also test your charging system for you during the same trip once your car is running again with a functioning battery. Do not hesitate to follow up if you have additional questions or concerns.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr