Q: 2004 Mazda 6s (V6-3.0L Automatic) VS. 2004 Hyundai Elantra GLS

I am looking to buy a used car. Im looking at a 2004 Mazda 6s with 78k on it or a 2004 Hyundai Elantra with 66k on it. I will get the car looked at by a mechanic but I am wondering, is a 2004 Mazda 6s reliable? I've heard bad reviews about the engine and many problems with it. As a college student on a budget, I really dont want to have to pay for repairs often. Im fairly sure a 2004 Elentra is very reliable, but the Mazda 6s is just so much better looking. But that doesn't matter if its not reliable.

From your tax dollars, and the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration, the 2004 Mazda 6 has 0 Recalls and 0 Technical Service Bulletins - which all manufacturers are required to report for serious problems. The 2004 Hyundai Elantra has 5 Recalls and 31 TSBs by way of comparison. Of course consider the mileage with both cars. Since both cars are both in the latter part of their lifespan based on age, I would have a pre-purchase inspection done on the car that you are seriously considering buying. This way, you will have a more clear idea of the condition of the car.