Q: Can exhaust fumes get in the cabin?

asked by on December 15, 2015

Can exhaust fumes get in the cabin?

Your car’s exhaust is not harmless. The engine runs by burning gasoline. This creates fumes that include a number of potentially harmful chemicals, including carbon monoxide. It’s possible for exhaust to enter your cabin at any point the vehicle is stopped for a long period. Here’s what you need to do:

• Avoid running the engine while the vehicle is stopped for more than a few minutes.
  • If you cannot avoid it, crack the windows at least one inch to let in fresh air.
  • You should also turn the air conditioning/heating system to fresh air.

Tips

• If you smell exhaust inside the vehicle, have the car inspected.
  • Don’t drive or operate the engine with the liftgate or liftgate glass open.