Q: Can exhaust fumes get in the cabin?

Can exhaust fumes get in the cabin?

A: Your car’s exhaust is not harmless. The eng...

Your car’s exhaust is not harmless. The engine runs by burning gasoline. This creates fumes that include a number of potentially harmful chemicals, including carbon monoxide. It’s possible for exhaust to enter your cabin at any point the vehicle is stopped for a long period. Here’s what you need to do:

• Avoid running the engine while the vehicle is stopped for more than a few minutes.
  • If you cannot avoid it, crack the windows at least one inch to let in fresh air.
  • You should also turn the air conditioning/heating system to fresh air.

Tips

• If you smell exhaust inside the vehicle, have the car inspected.
  • Don’t drive or operate the engine with the liftgate or liftgate glass open.