Q: A garbage truck backed up on the hood of my 2016 kia optima my hood is crunched up to the wind shield. My airbags did not deploy.

At what force an speed would it take for the airbags to deploy with a garbage truck backing up on to my 2016 while i was stopped .

Hello, thank you for writing in. To start, there was a major recall of your make, model, and year for an air bag front end crash malfunction. You need to look up your VIN and verify that your vehicle was not included in that recall. With that being said, your air bags go off with forces that amount to hitting a wall between 9-16 MPH. Keep in mind there are a large number of variables at play, and the one to be concerned with is the brute force a garbage truck can bring. There are a variety of sensors that are linked in the system, and several of them need to be triggered at the same to in order to deploy. This is due to the amount of damage air bags can do when they deploy, and the need to prevent unnecessary deployment. If you believe the forces were great enough to trigger the air bags, then you will want to have the system inspected. These can be dangerous tests to do if you are not careful. Seek professional help if you are not up to speed on general air bag maintenance.

3. A garbage truck backed up on the hood of my 2016 kia optima my hood is crunched up to the wind shield. My airbags did not deploy.