Q: Loss of power going uphill and acceleration issues on flat land

I noticed a month and a half ago that my vehicle has been having performance issues while trying to go uphill. I checked with several mechanics about what could cause it and I've done everything that they have told me to do, from changing spark and wires to changing the radiator and cooling fans to even replacing transmission fluid and filter. When I went to AutoZone, I had them run a diagnostic computer test on the van and got 14 cides, most of which were minor, but the two big ones were for an oxygen sensor and the EGR valve (code P0401) so I ordered the EGR valve, which the guy who works there said would solve this problem. I've spent several hundred dollars and lots of hours working on this and need my vehicle at peak performance again. I just don't want to spend money and install parts that don't need to be replaced if I can help it. So, will changing the EGR valve solve my problem?

Hello. P0401 is the trouble code for insufficient EGR flow. This can occur for a few different reasons, and could be contributing to your performance issues. The EGR, short for exhaust gas re circulation, is a system designed to recirculate exhaust gasses back into the the engine in order to reduce N0x type emissions. Insufficient flow can be caused by a faulty EGR valve, however usually a faulty EGR valve will produce it’s own trouble code. Insufficient flow can also be caused by an obstruction or leak in the EGR system piping, which is not an uncommon occurrence. 14 trouble codes indicate that there is likely several issues present with the vehicle. I would recommend having a professional technician, such as one from YourMechanic, come to your location to determine if the EGR valve needs to be replaced, and what other repairs may be needed.