Can a misfire problem stall out the motor? engines ford e...

Q: Can a misfire problem stall out the motor?

asked by on November 06, 2015

I was driving in my 2007 Ford Edge and all of a sudden the engine began misfiring and then stalled out. I tried to restart it and it sounded terrible, so I had it towed to a shop. Turns out the coil packs burned out on multiple cylinders. Is it worth replacing them if my engine could be toast from the damage? This engine only has 84,000 miles on it, didn’t expect part failure like this.

It is highly unlikely that failed ignition coils would cause any mechanical engine damage, or your engine itself to fail. Coil packs can and do fail after so many miles, with no particular mileage being an “average” - and not just on Ford Edges, but all makes and models. When they fail you will experience bad engine performance, often followed by a Check Engine light. If a coil requires replacement, even though it can be quite expensive, it is recommended that you have all of the coils and spark plugs replaced.