Can a dead battery cause my engine to stop working? charg...

Q: Can a dead battery cause my engine to stop working?

asked by on March 01, 2017

I was driving and my car began to stall. Once I pulled over I could no longer press the brake down and the gas pedal would go all the way to floor but I could not move. I could turn the engine over once I tried starting the car again but after several tries to get my car up and running it would not turn over anymore. I could hear the normal clicking sound that indicates you have a dead battery.

I am confused because I was driving when all of this happened and I didn't think you could start a car if you had a dead battery.

A dead or internally shorted battery can not only cause a car to stall but it will also overload the alternator as the alternator attempts to both charge the dead battery and supply the car’s electrical needs. The battery can be load tested to understand its condition but if the battery is more than 5 years old there is no need to do that test as the battery would be past its normal service life. If you need a battery, you can request battery installation during which the mechanic will also test the alternator to be sure that a faulty charging system was not the cause of your dead battery. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.