Q: burning oil

Suzuki Vitara 2.0 v6 1997. About five years my car burns and consumes lots of oil and idling rough(1.6RPM on working temperature). The smoke is white to blue, no coolant consumption or leaks around. Many mechanics would say to change the engine. Accidently when checking the oil level I forgot to put back the deep stick. After few miles it stopped burning oil allmost at all but still rough idling. Any idea what would be the reason for this, can we exclude expensive repair? Thanks a lot

If the Positive Crankcase Ventilation (PCV) system is blocked, crankcase pressure will rise, which tends to draw oil into the combustion chambers (on the intake stroke) where the oil is then of course burned. In the case of such a PCV blockage, leaving off the dipstick would create an escape route, to the atmosphere, for the excess crankcase pressure, thus tending to reduce the oil consumption. The rough running could be due to fouled plugs and possibly a blocked catalytic converter as burning oil will wreak havoc on those components. However, there are many potential causes of rough engine idle ranging all the way from the mechanical condition of the engine, such as uneven cylinder pressures, to faulty fuel supply, ignition or air induction components. If you desire, during a mobile diagnostic a certified Mechanic from YourMechanic can check out the PCV system and diagnose the rough running engine.