Q: Broken front right axle

Car has a broken rt front axle due to rust. Left axle is also rusted but not broken. I'm told it's due to moisture getting under the rubber damper. I have a quote for a Honda part and also for an after market part. The latter is considerably less. Is the rubber damper typically included with an after market part? Is it necessary to have one? What is it's function. Fortunately the break did not happen while I was driving but occurred when I attempted to shift the car from park into drive. I have real concerns about safety since there were no signs of the problem - noises, difficulties in turns, etc. I had just driven the car. The break happened in a parking lot.

I also recently had to have front wheel bearings replaced. I am somewhat concerned that this problem was not noticed at that time (it's been just a matter of about 7 months). Should it have been noticed at that time?