Q: Backfiring, poor mileage, and hesitation

Cranks Long when cold. Gets very bad mileage gets 15 should get 25-30. When driving it will accelorate up to a certain speed like 20 in second then it will hesitate like crazy almost like it’s hitting the rev limiter but it’s not to get it to go faster in that gear I have to slam the gas to the floor and then it will push through but it will accelerate kinda jerky and then when I push the clutch in to shift it backfires after high revs the catalytic converter is not a problem

If the engine in your car is original, at 25 years old, you might want to check compression to see what the basic mechanical condition of the engine is. Poor gas mileage can be caused by low tire pressure; faulty vehicle wheel alignment; stuck brake caliper(s); a stuck open cooling system thermostat; oxygen sensor faults; worn out spark plugs; low engine compression due to mechanical defects; slipping components in the transmission; dirty or leaking fuel injectors; defects in EGR system; exhaust restrictions; and excess weight in vehicle. The poor gas mileage is probably related to the hard starting, loss of power and poor acceleration that you are reporting. I would suggest that you just request a vehicle fuel efficiency diagnostic and the responding certified mechanic will get all of the issues (i.e., including the hard starting, etc.) investigated and resolved for you. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you

3. Backfiring, poor mileage, and hesitation