Q: Brake pads repalaced, brakes sqeak and smell with smoke

Hello. I've just had my front brake pads replaced with the ProStop basic ones. While I was driving on the highway, they started to make squeaking noise and felt kind of spongy. During braking, they weren't very efficient when I stopped hard and they smelt. There was also some smoke. What is causing this? Is it due to pads replacement? Thanks

I believe what happened was that the technician who replaced your brake pads may have not done one or both of two things: replace the rotors or road tested the vehicle.

Since you did not mention it, I assume that the technician did not resurface or replace your brake rotors. This is something that should always be done during brake pad replacement to promote quiet and efficient braking. That is, just what the technician may not have done.

The other thing the technician may have done instead of or in addition to not servicing the brake rotors would be not road testing your vehicle to break in the new brake pads. This road test usually consists of thirty stops from thirty miles per hour with thirty seconds in between stops to allow the brakes to cool.

When the pads are breaking in, the resin and glues inside the friction material will settle. During this time the brakes will produce the smell that you are smelling. That is normal. It is also normal to see smoke sometimes during the break in period. It is possible that the noises, smell, and smoke you are experiencing will go away after a day or two of driving. If they do not, I would recommend taking your vehicle back to the technician who replaced your brake pads and ask them to check it out. They should take care of you free of charge as the brake job is likely under some kind of warranty.

3. Brake pads repalaced, brakes sqeak and smell with smoke