Q: Brake pads 6mm = near end of life?

asked by on October 09, 2016

I had an inspection done on my Toyota Sienna shortly before I bought it, and the report came back stating that the front brake pads were "nearing end of life". They then priced out parts and labor to replace the front brake pads and rotors. When I spoke to the technician on the phone he told me that the brakes should be replaced within the next 1-2k miles to avoid safety issues. However, when I looked at the last page of the inspection they had noted that the front brake pads were at 6mm. Thoughts on this? Thank you for your time!

Brake System Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hi, thanks for writing in. If the brake pads thinnest pad thickness is at 6mm then what the mechanic most likely recommends is to have the brakes checked in a about 1000-2000 miles to see if they will be needed then. Most brakes pads that are worn to 3mm is recommended for immediate replacement of the pads and resurface or replace the rotors. If I inspected a customers brakes to be at 6mm, then I would recommend that they have the brakes rechecked at there next service or 3000 miles to see how much they are worn. Our brakes tend to wear at different rates since we all drive different and only constant inspections can determine when they need replaced. Here at YourMechanic, we can have a technician come to your home or office to inspect your brakes for you, and make or suggest the necessary repairs.