Q: Q: Brake lights not working

My brake lights are not working. All of the other tail-lights seem to function properly, including when I put on my blinkers and put the vehicle in reverse. I tried swapping out the brake light switch, and the fuse looks fine. What else would cause this?

You should check to see if the brake light fuse is getting power to one side of the brake light switch using a test light or voltmeter. If it is then check to see if power is going through the switch when the brake pedal is pushed. You should have power going through the switch to the green and white wires. If you have power going through the switch, then go to the rear lights and check to see if power is getting to the brake lights on the green and white wires at any one of the rear lights. If you have power then you may have bad brake bulbs or sockets. I have seen all the bulbs burned out due to nobody noticing a bulb is out till all of them are out. If you do not have power to the rear brake wire, then you will have to trace the wiring back to the brake switch for a break in the wire. There are two junction connections: one in the right of the dashboard and another on left rear of vehicle in side panel. If you need assistance, a certified mobile mechanic from YourMechanic can come inspect the lighting issues at your home or office.

3. Q: Brake lights not working