Q: Brake calipers needing replacement after brake pads and rotors were replaced?

About 3 weeks ago I had the brake pads and rotors replaced on my car. Yesterday I noticed a strong smell of burning brakes. I took it back to the shop that did the original repair and they told me the rotors and pads need replaced but that the calipers need replaced as well, for about $950. Could the original faulty pads and rotors have caused the calipers to fail?

I think you have it backwards. The pads and rotors do not cause bad calipers, but a sticking or binding caliper can cause the pads to wear excessively and cause the pads to dig into the rotors. The calipers may not of been binding until the caliper pistons had to be pushed back to install the new pads. It would be recommended to have the brake system flushed after replacing the calipers, pads, and rotors so the system has all new fluid. A certified technician from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to perform any needed repairs with your brake system.

• Brake calipers needing replacement after brake pads and rotors were replaced?