Q: Bolt hole stripped for timing belt.

While replacing a timing belt, the thread for the hole containing the bolt for the idler pulley was accidentally stripped. What can I have done to fix this and how much will it cost to fix it?

Hello, with the threaded hole for the bolt holding the idler pulley stripped out you are left with two choices. The first being to install a heli coil into the old bolt area. To install a heli coil you first buy the heli coil kit and have to enlarge the hole using a drill, tap out the new drilled hole, install the heli coil with the supplied glue and then wait for it to dry. Heli coils work fairly well if you take your time and are steady with the drill. The second option is to replace the part that it screws into which could be expensive if it’s the engine block.

3. Bolt hole stripped for timing belt.