Q: Battery light coming and and assisted steering fault on dash and abs amber light

Hi all I have a Ford Focus 2006 diesel 1.8 my battery light come on when I was driving and when I got home I went to go out in my car about 5 hours Lator and my car started but a steering assisted Fault appeared on my dash and my power steering would not work and the abs amber light would appear on my dash when turning the steering wheel left or right I got up this morning and my car wouldn't start at all I jump started it it started fine but still had faults their on dash when I disconnected the jump start leads my car light was flashing and after a couple off off mins my car went dead . Does anyone know what this could be thanks .

Hi there. It sounds like you have a failed alternator. The alternator is used to maintain the battery charge and provide electrical support to the electrical system. Its output can vary depending on the electrical load placed on the system; ac, blower motor, headlights, etc. Have the alternator tested at idle and under load to determine if the voltage/amps are not within specifications; replace as necessary. Also have the battery tested with a digital battery tester that provides current voltage, cold cranking amps, and state of health. Replace the battery if needed. If the battery tests ok, then recharge the battery before starting the car with the new alternator. Not having a fully charged battery can present an undue load on the new alternator’s internal voltage regulator and shorten the life of the new alternator. I suggest having a qualified technician perform an inspection to avoid replacing unnecessary parts. Your Mechanic has several technicians available that can assist you with an electrical problems inspection.

3. Battery light coming and and assisted steering fault on dash and abs amber light