Q: Battery Light

I just purchased a 2002 Volvo S40 with 145k miles, one owner, pretty clean. I was wondering what to expect from this model/year of Volvos? Also, when revved high (4,5,6000 RPM), the battery light flickers and the lights and gauges dim.

Thanks

Hi there:

In most cases when the battery light comes on, it’s an indicator that the alternator is faulty or starting to show signs of wearing out. If this occurs only when the RPM is revved high, it might be a sign of a faulty alternator belt pulley (which powers this system once the vehicle has been started). Volvo’s can be very tricky to maintain over 150,000 miles, so you might want to have a professional mobile mechanic complete a battery light is on inspection; so they can diagnose why the light is coming on and recommend the right repairs.