Q: Over heating

Car was leaking around the thermostat area. Look like at the bottom of the gasket. Car overheats after about 45 minutes. Temperature gauge never goes past the middle mark. After the car over heats the radiator & the over flow is just about emery. Car still runs like a champ until this happens.

Hello. Thank you for writing in. It sounds like you need to replace the thermostat housing, and possibly the thermostat as well. The temperature gauge on your dashboard is commonly misunderstood. The thermostat and temperature gauge will only give you an accurate reading if it is completely submerged in coolant. They are not designed to read air temperature. Make sure that you are paying attention to the level of coolant in the radiator and the overflow tank. Keep in mind you do not want to overheat the engine. It absolutely causes engine damage, and at a certain point (280 degrees) the damaged can not be fixed. Once you repair the leak and the thermostat, assuming you haven’t done any engine damage to the vehicle, then the system should not overheat.

3. Over heating