Q: Battery is dead and engine doesn't crank

My car’s battery is dead and the engine doesn’t crank. There is no clicking from the starter. On the dashboard, the ‘Security’ light continually flashes while I’m trying to start the car. That same light was staying on before, while I was driving (before today). But at that time, I didn’t see any problems. I’ve never had any starting problems before, with this car. Can you give me some direction toward the solving of this? Thanks.

A: Hello! I’ll be happy to assist you. I belie...

Hello! I’ll be happy to assist you. I believe the issue may be the ignition key tumbler. The wires inside of the steering column connecting to the ignition key tumbler to the steering column tend to break.

The wiring may need to be repaired or the ignition key tumbler also. It is also known that if the battery does not have sufficient charge the security system may not have enough voltage to completely run the system. This low battery condition could cause similar no start conditions.

Therefore I suggest 2 have the electrical system of the vehicle tested by a technician and if needed check movement of the key tumbler moving it from the vehicle and ensuring it turns freely with the key. Also check the wiring connecting to the key tumbler for open circuits.

If you need some assistance with getting this fixed, seek some help from a certified mechanic who can diagnose your dead battery and starting issues. From there, an accurate repair can be made in order to get your car up and running once again.