Q: 2005 Chrysler 300c has a code P0406. I believe EGR needs replacing, Don't know if it will make it 25 miles to dealer.

asked by on March 30, 2017

Car runs but sputters in power sometimes. Got a check engine light that comes on and off but mostly on. Checked the code through the ACC-ON ignition switch and it shows P0406 something with the EGR sensor. The dealer is 25 miles out and I don't trust the car that far. Car feels like it will cut out sometimes and also lurches at other times. I'm still driving it but only 5 or 6 miles from home.

Check Engine Light is on Inspection $79.99 - $99.99 Get a Quote

P0406 involves the EGR system but that may or may not be the only factor causing your rough running condition. Typically, P0406 will set if you have a failed EGR valve, excessive carbon buildup, an open or short in the wiring harness, a poor electrical connection and/or a leak in the vacuum line to the EGR valve. To obtain a diagnostic and repair you need not drive the car anywhere as YourMechanic is a mobile repair service and thus can come right to your location. If you desire an on-site repair, please request a check engine light diagnostic and a certified mechanic from YourMechanic will pinpoint the cause of the fault and estimate the repair for you. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr