Q: Band need replaced, shop wants to rebuild transmission, is that necessary?

Transmission was slipping, took it to shop and was told 1-2 bands need replaced but that they want to rebuild the entire transmission. No other issues found, is rebuilding the transmission necessary?

The transmission bands have a material on them that is similar to brake pad material. When the clutch bands wear the worn off material gets into the fluid and throughout the entire transmission. Also just because the band is the only thing worn out does not mean the rest of the bands and clutches are not worn down with over 165k miles on transmission. I would recommend overhauling the entire transmission also due to if you only fix the one band then when all back together something else goes wrong you would have to pay to have it taken apart again to repair it. The mechanic shop is doing you a favor to rebuild the entire transmission.

3. Band need replaced, shop wants to rebuild transmission, is that necessary?