Q: Backfiring during acceleration, low idling

I have a few issues with my car. One of the major issues is that the car has occasional backfiring while I accelerate. Also, it has pretty low idling. I tried to solve these issues by replacing the EGR valve, changing the oil and spark plugs but it didn't halp. I also put the cleaner in the gas tank but to no avail. Do you have any suggestions how I might solve the problem?

Hello. This can be caused by a number of things. I usually start by scanning the computer for codes to see if the computer is seeing any faults. If there are no faults, in the computer then I would check the compression. It sounds like the timing belt may be worn out and failing causing the valve timing to be off occasionally. This is common as it gets older. It can also be the crank position sensor, or worse case, you may have a failing seat valve in the engine. A compression test and cylinder leak down test would verify this. If you need to have this tested, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose your acceleration problem and let you know what needs to be repaired.

3. Backfiring during acceleration, low idling