Q: Backfires and doesn't do anything

My car runs at idle, but has a very bad backfire, and doesn't do anything when the gas pedal is pushed.

There are a number of potential causes for your problem. A couple things come to mind, however. The first is a collapsed catalytic converter. A collapsed converter could both cause engine backfiring, as well minimal acceleration. Misadjusted timing could also cause this problem. Your vehicle has a distributor, but the timing is fixed and controlled by the power train control module (PCM). A trained mechanic will be able inspect your vehicle first hand and diagnose your gas pedal problem and idling issue.