Q: Auto start stop dissconnected check engine warning message and light 2014 Ford

asked by on March 11, 2017

When my car is in neutral (even when the auto start stop function isnt turned on) i see the error message auto start stop unavailable check engine. Then i see the engine warning light on the dashboard. Any ideas what this could be please? Also when i re start the car the car is unable to properly rev. Its come on numerous times then gone off. All this seemed to start when i stalled my car once. Since then this problem keeps occurring. Thankyou

Car is not getting enough power Inspection $79.99 - $99.99 Get a Quote

Hello - most likely the throttle position sensor (part of the electronic throttle) has a fault. Since the "auto stop-start" mechanism depends heavily on successful operation of the TPS, any quirk would endanger safe operation of the "start" sequence. Software detects this, and shuts off the feature; hence the error message. Ford may offer a warranty repair, or technical service bulletin for this problem - although this has not been reported as of this response. If a successful resolution is not obtained through Ford, I recommend a throttle inspection performed by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, and give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr